Robert H. Milbourne
Robert H. Milbourne is one of the honored old residents of Brinkley's district, Somerset County, and for over three decades has been financially interested in a general store which he established in Kingston before the railroad was built through the town. For a few years his son, Lewis M., has had the management of the store, he being a member of the firm which is to-day know as R. H. Milbourne & Son. In political matters our subject is a Democrat, and was register of voters of this district for twenty-three years. For about nine years he was station agent at Kingston.
Robert H. Milbourne is a son of William and Mary (Peyton) Milbourne, both natives of Somerset County. The father was reared to maturity in Dublin district and there passed the remainder of his career. He was a successful farmer and dealt in lumber (mostly square lumber) to a considerable extent. In his early life he was a Whig, but later became affiliated with the Democracy, and was a magistrate and constable for several years. His death took place in 1868, when he was in his sixty-second year. His father, Nathan, was also a native of Dublin district and there was occupied during his mature years in the management of his large farm. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was a patriotic citizen. He died when past the allotted years of man, being in his seventy-sixth year at the time of his departure. The Milbourne family is of English descent, and the Maryland branch of the same was founded by one of two brothers who left their home under kingly rule to seek a new dwelling place in the western continent. William and Mary Milbourne were pillars in the local Methodist Episcopal Church, the former often holding such positions as class-leader, steward and trustee. Mrs. Milbourne, who was a sweet, lovable Christian lady, lived to be seventy-eight years old.
Of the eight living children of William and Mary Milbourne the subject of this narrative is the eldest. The others are as follows: Samuel J., a resident of Pocomoke City; Sarah, widow of Joseph Stephenson; Nathan, of Crisfield; Mary, widow of Lycurgus Stephenson; Sidney F., whose home is in Crisfield: and Margaret, wife of John C. Mills, of Pocomoke City. Robert H. was born in Dublin district April 6, 1831, and he grew up on his father's farm. In 1854 he went to Princess Anne, where he opened a general store, and during the succeeding twelve years he was engaged in the mercantile business in that place. It was in 1866 that he located in Kingston, where he established a new store, and since that time has carried a general line of household supplies, clothing, etc. His estate, which comprises about four hundred and fifty acres, is divided into four farms, all in the vicinity of Kingston postoffice.
April 1, 1861, Mr. Milbourne married Mary Wilkins, who died, leaving one child, Mary E., now the wife of John E. Gorsuch, of Baltimore County. February 8, 1865, Mr. Milbourne weded Louisa, daughter of Samuel S. and Eleanor (Ballard) Miles. Two children came to grace their union: Addie, who is at home, and Lewis, who is now an active, energetic young business man, and in addition to running the store, as previously mentioned, is financially interested in planting and dealing oysters. He is a vestryman in the Protestant Episcopal Church, to which his parents belong, and is upright and thoroughly honorable in all his transactions. In these and many other worth respects he adheres to the teachings and example of his father, whose name is above reproach.
February 1997, Web Page Author George E. Richardson,III