This clip came from a photo was published in Delmarva From The Air, Carl H. Monsees, Tour Picture Albums, Snow Hill, MD. The photographer was Victor Dallin of Landsowne, PA. The library cataglog states that the book was published 1926 - 1928. This picture also appeared on the front page of the Salisbury Evening Times on August 10, 1926 in an article discribing the failure of the dam earlier in the day. Since the lake is intact, this photo was taken some time prior to August of 1926. (view complete photo)
Visible in the photo is the railroad tressel bridge which is just above the Isabella St. dam.
The fork of the Wicomico River is easily seen with one prong going north and one prong going east. The east prong loops just below the old National Guard Armory on South Division St. The Armory is on the site of the present Wicimico County Library.
The West Main Street bridge is seen crossing the lower part of the north prong and Camden Ave. runs north thru the trees in the lower left and crosses the east prong.
The full photograph shows the area of downtown east to the railroad. Much of the land around the east prong of the river was under water, which was Humphrey's Lake up until 1909 when the dam near the location of the Armory failed.