From The Grandfathers Clock Collection
Wicomico Weekly News, May 8th, 1902
Summer Home On The Wicomico The Somers Place, At Shad Point, Purchased by Mr. Gunby
The Old Homestead, Commanding a Fine View of the Wicomico River, Will Be Improved And Occupied This Summer, Others will Probably Purchase Property Along The River.
Mr. Louis W. Gunby recently purchased the old Somers homestead at Shad point, which was for many years the property of his grandmother, Mrs. Nancy Somers. This property is beautifully situated on the south bank of the Wicomico River, and being considerably elevated commands a fine view for miles up an down the river. From the shaded lawn, the church spires of Salisbury can be seen and the white winged vessels as they sail up and down the river pass within a few yards of the residence. It is in an ideal spot for a summer home, there being plenty of shade trees, and a lawn sloping gently down to the water’s edge.
The large two story and a half residence, which has stood there for many hears, shows the marks of time, and is badly out of repair, but Mr. Gunby will at once begin the work of improving it. He will raise the roof and ad another story and several dormer windows, re-weather board it and make alterations inside which will make it comfortable for a summer home. These improvements will be made in time for occupancy before the heated term sets in.
The wharf at the foot of the property is just three miles from Salisbury by water, and Mr. Gunby expects to purchase a gasoline launch which will cover the distance in twenty minutes. This will make it convenient for his business and will afford him recreation which he feels the need of, after his close confinement looking after his large business interests.
This property was formerly called "Cherry Hill" and has been a noted place for a century. It has been in the Somers family since about the year 1812. The first steamboats that ever plied on the Wicomico River made this point their headquarters, and passengers for Salisbury, Snow Hill and Berlin were conveyed by stages. The steamboats Thomas Jefferson, Pocahontas, Fredricksburg and Columbia were among the first which found their way up here; after2wards the William Seldon and Wilson Small and others come to this pint as well as the Georgia and Constitution at a latter day.
Capt. Samuel Somers and his wife, who was Nancy Jones were married agbout the year 1808. Their children, Capt. Wm. D. Somers, Dr. S. R. Somers, John P. Somers, Mrs. Jane M. Gunvy, and Mrs, Charlotte Gunby and Mrs. Dr. D. W. Morris, were all born at the old home place, "Cherry Hill". The name was changed to Shad Point by the traveling public, because of the larg quantities of shad caught off this pint. So it will be seen that Mr. Gunby has now a property which had for long years been in possession of his ancestors and he has every reason to be proud of its owners.
February 1997, Web Page Author George E. Richardson,III