Richardson, Asher and Mary Isabelle House, US 83, Asherton, Tx. 11/22/88, C, 88002539.
Constructed of hand-cut local sandstone, the Asher and Mary Isabelle Richardson House is a massive two-story structure rising up from the flat landscape of Dimmit County. Dominated by an elaborated roofscape featuring hipped, gable, and clipped gable roof forms, the house is and unusual hybrid of Beaux Arts Classicism and the Prairie School which features horizontal massing, interrelated porches, wide overhanging eaves, and decorative brick chimneys. The primary facade consists of three gabled bays. A segmental arch, inset within the entry bay, frames the single-door entrance. Steps projecting from the entry bay are flanked by low walls capped by ornamental urns. A sandstone balustrade continues around the east corner of the house, defining a terrace which provides access to the sun porch. A delicate wooden balustrade outlines the porch at the second level and recurs on the roof of the sun porch and the porte cochere on the southwest. The first floor is detailed with sandstone hood moldings at the windows and doors. Completed in 1911, the house was designed by San Antonio architect Alfred Guiles as the centerpiece of Asherton, Texas. To lend prominence to his grand residence, Asher Richardson set aside a ten-acre block in the center of the town he planned and named for himself. The dwelling retains much of its interior detailing and many original furnishings.
Dictionary of Texas Historic Places, Vol 1 Page 308 Somerset Publishers